“We will keep you informed as the situation develops,” said Michael Brandt, Deputy Lab Director for Operations and Chief Operations Officer, “Although we do not know how many employees may choose to strike, we are preparing for reduced services in some areas of the Laboratory. Also, keep in mind that at the end of the day, we are all one team. Please practice patience while our colleagues exercise their legal right of free expression.”
Lab staff may use the Blackberry or Grizzly Gates only for entry and exit. Suppliers, visitors, and guests must use Blackberry Gate only for entry and exit.
Strawberry Gate is reserved for construction contractors, construction vehicles, and delivery vehicles. Berkeley Lab employees will not be permitted to enter or exit through the Strawberry Gate in a vehicle, as a pedestrian, or as a cyclist.
- Staff with a Lab badge whether in vehicles or as cyclists and pedestrians are permitted to use this gate for entry or exit.
- Deliveries (other than construction), ride-share vehicles, and business guests are permitted to use this gate for entry or exit.
- Open Mon.-Sun. all hours
- Staff with a Lab badge ONLY. Vehicles, cyclists, and pedestrians with a Lab badge are permitted to use this gate for entry or exit.
- Open all hours for vehicle, pedestrian, and cyclist exit.
- Open Mon.-Fri. 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. for vehicle, pedestrian, and cyclist entry.
- Pedestrians and cyclists who need entry outside of these hours should call the Site Operations Center at 510-486-6999 for assistance.
- This gate is limited to Lab approved construction contractors, construction vehicles, and delivery vehicles.
- Cyclists, pedestrians, and personal vehicles are not permitted to use this gate for entry or exit.
- No Lab personnel may use this gate.
- Open Mon.-Friday 5 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Lab Security will refuse entrance to those who are unable to provide a valid Berkeley Lab badge and/or valid government issued ID at Grizzly or Blackberry gates.
Traffic delays: Traffic delays may occur at Lab gates or on UC Berkeley property, whether or not picketing occurs, due to increased security measures and the need to comply with labor laws regarding gate access and restrictions. All Lab personnel is asked to plan for delays and make safety their number one priority.
Modified shuttle routes: The following changes will be made beginning Monday, November 14 in the event of a strike:
- Blue route: No change in the shuttle schedule.
- Orange route: Will access the Lab through the Blackberry Gate and maintain all regular Lab pickup locations, with the Pool stops on Centennial Drive closed. Riders should use the Rim Way and Gayley stop as an alternate.
- Rockridge route: Will keep its regular schedule off-site, but it will enter and exit through the Blackberry Gate. The only stop at the Lab will be at the B65 shuttle stop.
- Potter Street/JBEI: No change in the shuttle schedule.
- North Berkeley route: No change in the shuttle schedule.
- MacArthur route: No change in the shuttle schedule.
Please download and use TripShot for live shuttle information as shuttles may be delayed. Read the TripShot user guide if you are unfamiliar with the app.
Deliveries: Carriers and suppliers that will pick up and deliver in case of a strike: FedEx, Aeronet, XPO. Carriers and suppliers that will not pick up or deliver include: UPS, TrumpCard Freight, ABF, and YRC. Additional vendors will be noted as more information becomes available. Please make arrangements to change your carrier or delivery location as needed for packages sent or arriving next week. If you choose a carrier that will not pick up or deliver, your package will be delayed.
Delivery of packages will take place on site, but you may be called to pick up a package.
Work Mode: Any employee with a formal offsite work mode agreement for any of the days of the week during which a strike may occur may maintain that arrangement unless contingency plans require modification.
Questions: Strike-related questions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. This account will be monitored by a team from Human Resources, Facilities, and Site Security.
Reporting concerns: If you see any safety issues or life-threatening emergencies, call 911 immediately. For any other incidents or concerns, contact the Lab’s Site Operations Center at 510-486-6999.
Updates: Watch for updated information in Elements, via email, at the 1-800-445-5830 status line, and at status.lbl.gov.